I suggest you ...

Add story estimates

For use in Agile Software Development, we would like to be able to add estimates to each story - could be story points or hours.

Suggest two entries: "Initial Estimate" and "Time Left." This would facilitate SCRUM-like story tracking in a sprint.

20 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Thomas Clemen, Agile PM shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chris Fahlbusch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have used Kanbana for a few days now and would love to assign points to the tasks as a way to limit my WIP by gaining an understanding what my daily capacity is over time. I am looking for a way to define what constitutes a "good day's work" for me.

• AdminTroels Richter (Admin, Kanbana - improve your workflow) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The main use of Kanbana is for everyday activities and not specifically aimed for software development. On a personal level the most important thing is to obtain a steady flow of tasks that will give the feeling of progress. Instead of estimating every single task it is easier and often more effective to limit your current work in progress by limiting how many task there should be in each stage. The ideal "single peace flow" where you only work on one thing at a time through your whole workflow but in the real world this is very hard. So try to set the limit as low as possible without blocking yourself. This should force yourself to follow through instead of starting new tasks.

What is your thoughts about this? Do you think you'll need an estimate anyhow?

• Joga Ryali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. To keep it simple, just add points. Everyone can translate the points into hours, days, etc. It will also be very helpful if the points for the stories in a group - this week, today etc. are all added up and shown at the top of the group. This is helpful in planning

Feedback and Knowledge Base